Sunday, February 19, 2012

SUNDAY EVENING'S VERY SHORT STORY

Miraculous Stories of Mary's Intercession

From The Glories of Mary by St Alphonsus De Liguori


A hermit of Mount Olivet had in his cell a holy image of Mary, and frequently offered up prayers before it. The devil could not endure such devotion to the holy Virgin, and tormented him continually with temptations against purity; and the poor old hermit finding himself still pursued by them, notwithstanding all his prayers and mortifications, said one day to the enemy: "What have I done to you, that you will not leave me in peace?" And the demon appeared to him and answered: "You torment me more than I torment you;" and hen he added: "Now come, and swear secrecy to me, and I will tell you what you must cease to do, if you wish me not to molest you any more." The hermit took the oath, and then the devil said to him: "I wish you never again to approach that image that you have in our cell." The hermit was greatly perplexed, and went to take counsel of the Abbot Theodore, who told him that he was not bound by his oath, and that he must not cease to recommend himself to Mary before that image, as he had done before. The hermit obeyed, and the devil was put to shame and conquered.



No comments:

Post a Comment